LS Drivability Conversions
We love Scouts! And more than we love Scouts, we love seeing them on the road. And the best way we've found to keep Scouts on the road is with our Drivability Conversion, the perfect way to preserve all the vintage aesthetics and character of your truck while adding up-to-date performance, reliability, and serviceability.
Thanks to our dedicated technicians, with years of experience exclusively converting International Scouts, we've mastered the Drivability Conversion process, and continue to raise the quality of our finished product with every new build – even after 100+ Conversions!
Included STANDARD With Every Drivability Conversion:
- Conversion to a modern GM powertrain – engine, transmission, and transfer case.
- All new wiring – Not just wiring for the new engine: A complete, headlights-to-taillights rewire!
- Entirely new fuel system, including our custom 30-gallon tank, in-tank fuel pump, pressure regulator, filters, hoses, etc.
- Completely new cooling system, with our LS-specific aluminum radiator and fan shroud, and a brand new OEM water pump and thermostat.
- Totally new 3" exhaust system.
- Comprehensive rebuild of the existing power brake and power steering systems, even including all new stainless brake hardlines.
- Fresh paint for the engine bay, along with standard powdercoating of steering knuckles, brake backing plates, heater box, battery tray, and several other components.
- Heavy-duty Tom Wood's driveshafts, new ball joints, suspension bushings, bearings and seals at all four wheels, and thorough inspections of the front and rear differentials.
- Integration of the factory gauges and stock shifters - Climb inside and you'll still see the Scout you know and love!
- Time allotted to improve door and hood alignment, lubricate latch and roll-up window mechanisms, refresh dash knobs and controls, etc.
- 6.0L, 360hp L96 crate motor from GM Performance
- Brand new, extreme duty, Scout specific axles from East Coast Gear Supply, with properly engineered disc brakes for the rear
- 5-speed manual transmission
- Vinyl or waxed canvas upholstery packages
- Carpet with heat insulation and sound deadener (headliners, too)
- Blasted and powdercoated frame
- Locking Tuffy center console with USB charge port
- 4pt roll bar with modern 3pt seat belts front and rear
- Suspension upgrades
- Gear ratio change (3.73s are perfect for this new drivetrain)
- Hydraulic brake booster
- Air conditioning
- Bluetooth stereo system
- Autometer gauges
- LED headlights
- Anything Scout Workman bumpers with options for a winch in the front and tire carrier in the rear
- Combo sliders
- Front Runner roof rack
- Wheel and tire packages
- And more!
Scout II: Starting at $53,000*
Scout 80/800: We're currently only scheduling Scout II (1971–1980) Drivability Conversions. Check out newlegend4x4.com to inquire about full restorations for Scout 80s and 800s
*Based on a vehicle provided by the customer
Drivability Conversions DO NOT include:
- Metal work / body work: There's absolutely nothing wrong with rust spots here and there. Let's be honest, that's just a part of Scout ownership. But all structurally important issues (e.g. floors, body mounts, etc.) should be fully sorted before we receive your truck.
- Paint: Please contact New Legend 4x4 to inquire about full restorations complete with body work, paint, and additional custom options.
- Freight / Shipping services
- Custom / One-off Drivetrain combinations
Estimated Timeline & Reservations:
Conversion Timeline: Our Drivability Conversions typically take 8–10 weeks, depending on the number of options, with another 2–3 weeks of test driving added at the end of the project. We put 400–500 miles on every truck before handing over the keys to ensure every kink is worked out and you can start enjoying your truck immediately and without worry once it's finished.
Reservations: We have a limited number of Drivability Conversion spots and are currently booking builds 14–16 months in advance. To begin the process of reserving a spot for your Scout, please contact us to start a conversation with one of our Drivability Conversion experts. To expedite the process, please follow up with photos of your Scout – the more pictures, the better!